Critics did not like Elizabethtown, but I knew I wanted to see it from the first trailer I saw. That was probably close to a year ago. Maybe a trailer before “War of the Worlds.” As I mentioned in the previous post, I’m a big fan of Cameron Crowe’s work. Yes, even maybe especially, Jerry Maguire. So last night I finally watched Elizabethtown to complete the Cameron Crowe library. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed it on so many levels. You may have seen it and not liked it, but here I give you 10 reasons to like it.
10. Orlando Bloom plays a floppy haired kid from Oregon. Great helicopter shots of Portland.
8. The Soundtrack is fantastic. Ryan Adams at the right times, My Morning Jacket as Ruckus, Tom Petty, Elton John and some original songs to the film also. TMF said it was, “only a extended mix tape with moving pictures.” He used it as a derogatory comment, but I think it’s a well made music video.
7. “Rusty’s Learning to Listen” video tape.
6. Ashton Kutcher who was originally cast as Drew dropped out early in filming.
5. Susan Sarandon. I’ve had a long term problem with Susan Sarandon and haven’t liked her in movies with few exceptions (Moonlight Mile and Bull Durham), but in this movie I liked her character and I think she did a good job being uncomfortable and in grief.
2. The Ultimate Road Trip.
1. Claire Colburn. Kirsten Dunst’s character is a quirky southern girl that has great conversation and makes the ultimate road trip compilation. You’re forced to fall in love with her.
So it’s just your basic Oregon boy meets southern girl in random serendipitous circumstances surrounded by great scenery, characters and music. Nothing I can relate to at all. I highly recommend this movie. If you’ve seen it already, isn’t it time to give it another chance?