I was thinking I was going to type out this part of the story, but then I remembered I rambled my way through the first part of the story in this terrible video
So to summarize, where that video leaves off, the world goes dark as I pass out in the back of the ambulance taking me to the Emergency Department(cough-coughI know..I know.. it’s their title, not mine.)at Brackenridge Hospital University Medical Center from there, I’ve gathered that my parents and sister were called as I was at work and they were listed as my emergencycontacts (little advice to you ..from me..): Make sure you know whose listed as your emergency contacts at work, at the gym, and where you live. Make sure they are accurate
Some Day I’ll attempt to try to describe the dreamland I slipped into for the next few weeks. (Weeks,yes. As I’ve worked on trying to put a timeline of events together, I may just have to accept that “weeks” may be as close as I get to any accurate accounting of time. While in this comatose state,I heard and recognized lots of voices through that time, some still unexplained. But eventually I woke up. I DID Wake up!woke up surrounded by friends and family with an incredible headache, but with a voracious hunger for information about where all that time went. The first lucid thought I remember having was just give me a few days to get some rest and I’ll get right back to the life I was living before.surprised everything I missed. Keep in mind as I type this it’s 2017. Nearly 2018. So as my favorite comedian, Mike Birbiglia says in his debut film as an aside as he breaks the fourth wall expecting that the audience has turned on him, Sleep Walk With me, “I know, I’m in the future too” when he winces at behavior in It’s a semi-autobiographical film, book and which I can truly recommend or his film/stand-up special My girlfriend’s boyfriend (Available on Netflix to stream, resonates with the kind of luck I’ve had in romance
- Disclaimer this entire post was typed,proofread, and formatted with my iPhone (6sPlus,nerdsWhen I woke up after spending a few weeksadrift in coma dreams after my Massive Stroke in 2015, I began to play with a few words that were on my mind Think *”Cillian Murphy waking up at some point in Inception epilogue “like and became a Mantra to me over the last 18 months It’s a Long road to travel to Get Better so why not spend some time Being better?! I did survive, afterall !!! against 9 to 1 odds!i made it i was so sold on this concept that i started trying to convince people to do the same. At one point tearfully looking up at a good friend and saying “we need to be better kinder mor mindful moreinclusive slower to angermindful
One of my Psych Therapists thought it was such a good idea, she had me put together a liBe better List of ideas that would be goals for myself after graduating from the Rehab Program I spent so much time participating in Recovery
Maybe she’s out there listenin g and can send me the BeBetter Listdoc we put together (matt)(at) (MkinMotio)dotcom
I graduated from rehab as 2016 became 2017 and now as March 2017 quickly approaches (composed on Feb28thI)welcome another chapter, this time in my homeland of Oregon as a refresher, I was born in NW Portland and grew up in the western suburb of Aloha,Oregon from 1977 to 1995 when my parents moved to Renton, Washington and I began a sort of musical chairs of Washington County towns including Tigard, Beaverton, Hillsboro, then Alohaand then Metzger Days of2001again More MetzgerDays again in2002 in .. too much detail Matt .. no reason to type an autobiography, don’t make a joke about there being a quiz later. there being a quiz later. All this to say yes I’m returning to Oregon to live under the care of the best two people in the Galaxyl My parents.and i know this sounds like the outlinefor a movie pitchthose of you who’ve had the pleasure know what I’m talking about and know I’m not exxagerating
So, if you followed my list of Oregon Towns you might recognize that the best people i mentioned are in Salem and that was never a home of mine But over the last several years I’ve become quite smitten with the capital city of my home State. I’m proud of my origin story and look forward to re-discovering some very special places and people historic splaces and veryspecialfplaces of personal history and to add some new ones too
In addition to this favorite photo of me me plus losing count of how many years i was a cowboy for halloween, it’s no wonder in the grand character arc of my life that i would at some point live in Texas for a while //embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js
Back to the PNW, So what are my plans?!
Here are a few things from that Be better list4
Explore some new hobbies
Increase Stroke awareness in those around me (ugh ..awareness..i know *yawn*#soooNPR)
- Re-assemble a life for myself post-stroke.
- Continue to heal and recover step-by-step (even baby steps are worth celebrating)
- Remember what “Teddy the Greek” said about nostalgia..it Literally means a pain from an old wound
- Put together (write) an album of songs about/for Oregon in the vein of a country version of ?Sufjan Stevens’ Michigan and Illinoise albums .. why country? Well I heard Sturgill Simpson cover “The Promise & it did something. Not the Nirvana cover..
- *I think here is as appropriate a place as any to review one of the ground rules of MkinMotion. I often make random references that fly over a lot of people’s heads. I kinda know when i, or more accurately the MkinMotion persona, throws a wildpitch over your head,and I try to craft my words to make the random reference easy googlible
- Common question from friends and family: Now that you’re going to be so close, can I visit?
- Salem is just an hour south of PDX the airport and the city
- Yes, please! I‘ll welcome any visitors I just ask for a head’s up, espefcially anyone from out- of- stateTheres literally handfuls of ways people have used to keep in touch with me espefcially anyone from out- of- state and for you to be ready to be involved in my recovery which is as simple as listen to me make short stories long or talk through things on my be better list ;or lose to me at Trivial Pursuit: TheOriginal 1983 Genus Edition (What can I say? I rule!) , Not only did i learn a lot by playing with grown-ups as a precocious kid,ospent lots of time of my reading maps and remember a high percentage of things i learned in public school lpromise the internet is over flowing with them youtube is rich with short videos articulating complex concept(iehttps://youtu.be/G3wLQz-LgrM). ;You might also be asked to sit for a portrait session or whatever style/skill of photography I’m honingstudying at the time in my CustomizedFormalPhotographyindependent study
- st::One of ythe themes of The B e Better List some items are creative and might need collaboration to get the juices flowing or to keeep the creativity going or by literaly going on a short road trip and literally go and maybe help with any video or photography gear involved in the specific project Many of the creative projects are somewhat bucket-listish So you could be asked to participate in that Imagine That!
Myy folks are retired and moved to Salem in 2009. My dad grew up there and between the two of them they have a ton of frriends lots of who are good friends of mine, so after a 15 year hiatus from Oregon inAlaska and Texas.continue my long recovery road in Salem
I left Oregon in 2002 with dreams of of adventure, big fish and a job economy in the Last frontier of Alaska that even “W couldn’t wreck from DC In my experience with the economy of Portland there were MBAs Pouring beer and waiting tables and the Hipster movement was just starting to go wild in Portland I didn’t have today’s beard or the resune yet. For Reference the Portland Pearl District That i #SoooPortland didn’t exist except in the beautiful dreams and beautiful Mind of the beautiful Laurie Ames my all-time High School crushes #friendzone . Don’t google her name just google “Real Estate Mogul of Portland and follow the beauty hint : she no longer lives in the US or Portlanunlike The *Sausage king of Chicago who i think still lives in Chicago and is still thee best name to use for a reservation at a snooty restaurant which neither Portland or Salem have.It’s been 24 that public
- So it appears I havent written a formal Blog article/post since the end of 2013. Without pressin the obvious MKinMotion2006 would have a hard time recognizing MKinMotion2017 Life has changed; the world has change;d and that’s really what has me coming back and sniffing around the ol’ long form
A couple of themes i’ll talk to will be literally straight out of my Twitter drafts which seem to point to two two topics near and dear to me these days: 1.
- 1.politics, but before you groan, hear me out democracy AND politicsi n2017..I was born and raised in the Portland Oregon area and have never lost at an opportunity to defend my homeland and have never been defeated at sticking up for the Oregon state of mind that favors moderate views limitless discovery; the new West; kindness and politeness above most things. where political arguments are settled with the offer of another beer or shot of espresso(seldom expresso, or a tip on picking a good wine to take to a hip genuine adult dinner party
- 2. My continued one-man Corps of Discovery of #LifeAfter (yep hashtagged a blog post my 2015 Massive stroke (Often in the guise of Stroke Awareness that largely robbed me of so much I loved and the life in Austin,TexAS I’d built from scratch
Since 2007, MKinmotion.com has largely shrank to become a somewhatsimilar opinionatedpersona on Twitter and I fell deep for Microblogging and it wasn’t til sometime in 2009 when an Alaskan Twitter friend pointed out, over saltysnacks at Darwin’s theory; a tired,Somewhat famous dive bar in downtown Anchorage in Downtown Anchorage in which i could almost never be found rarely m
politics, 2.#MyLifeA8fterbut really what hasnt in the lasttwo about those two subjects have been all but lost due to that pesky character limit
I feel like I’m getting a little predictable. If you’d have told me at the beginning of 2013 that Josh Ritter, Arcade Fire, The National and The Head and the Heart would be releasing new albums in 2013, I’d have said, “Okay, well they’ll be the top 4 albums of the year for me.” As you can see, they make the list, but there were also some good surprises to mix in too. And for those keeping score at home, I’d have expected to put Pearl Jam,
Rather than hash through the albums in their entirety, I figured I’d keep it simple and focus on 10 songs from 10 albums in 2013 that I think stand out. If you really want to know, yes, Trouble Will Find Me was my favorite and most listened to album of 2013.
Here’s an 8Tracks mix of all the songs below, in case you want to give it all a listen.
10. Kurt Vile – “Wakin on a Pretty Day”
(from Wakin on a Pretty Daze)
9. Phosphorescent – “Song for Zula”
(from Muchacho de Lujo)
8. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros – “Man on Fire”
(from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros)
See also “Better Days” & “If I Were Free”
7. Arcade Fire – “Reflektor”
6. Atoms for Peace – “Judge Jury and Executioner”
5. Vampire Weekend – “Ya Hey”
(from Modern Vampires of the City)
See also “Step” & “Diane Young”
4. Josh Ritter – Hopeful
(from The Beast in its Tracks)
See also “New Lover” & “Joy to You Baby”
3. Volcano Choir – Byegone
See also “Alaskans” and “Comrade”
2. The Head and the Heart – Shake
(from Let’s Be Still)
See also “Gone” and “My Friends”
1. The National – “Don’t Swallow the Cap”
(from Trouble Will Find Me)
See also “Demons” & “I Need My Girl”
Others songs I love from 2013 that don’t necessarily have a great album to go along with them:
Haim – “The Wire”
Dave Grohl, Paul McCartney, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear – “Cut Me Some Slack”
Steve Earle – “Invisible”
Night Beds – “Ramona”
U2 – “Ordinary Love”
Junip – “Line of Fire”
San Fermin – “Renaissance”